AFS Cinema presents 10 Years of Oscilloscope Pictures
This series celebrates 10 years of the New York-based independent film distributor that has helped to change the face of art house movie releasing. The current wave of artist-driven, youth-oriented independent cinema owes a great deal to this industry-leading company, founded by the late Adam Yauch, which is still going strong as it enters its second decade.
- January 15: Wild Combination: A Portrait Of Arthur Russel - Before his untimely death of AIDS in 1992, composer-cellist Arthur Russell was a creative dynamo, making music that straddled the line between disco and downtown experimentalism. This acclaimed documentary reconstructs his life through archival materials and interviews.
- January 22: Meek's Cutoff - The greatest western of the 21st century is Kelly Reichardt’s chilling tale of a lost wagon train, told from the point of view of the party’s pioneer women..
- January 29: Only the Young - In the somewhat rundown California desert town Santa Clarita, documentarian Elizabeth Mims films a group of Christian teenagers as they approach their high school graduation in a time where foreclosures and unemployment are the norm. Mims will appear in person at the screening.
- February 5: Embrace The Serpent - Director Ciro Guerra used diaries of actual Amazon expeditions to inform his film, which depicts a pair of such trips, and the river guide who led both, first as a young warrior, and finally as an old man. Visually astonishing, a major work.
- February 12: Contemporary Color - The extraordinary record of a one-of-a-kind event. At Brooklyn’s Barclay Center, 10 color-guard teams are assembled by organizer David Byrne and their marching, flag-waving routines are accompanied by musicians including St. Vincent and Ad-Rock.
- February 19: Kedi - In the streets of Istanbul, cats run free. Documentarian Ceyda Torun documents the lives of a few of these feline citizens as they interact with the human population. As cute as it sounds, it is also a fascinating portrait of animal/human coexistence.