Austin, you're in for a treat. The Long Center for the Performing Arts has unveiled the bill for its 2016-17 season, and it's a doozy.
A look ahead to the upcoming lineup of "Long Center Presents" and you'll find everything from award-winning Broadway musicals to hard-hitting discussions. On the music and theater front, Austin audiences can anticipate productions of Annie (November 25-26) and Once (February 18-19, 2017), as well as performances from the all-female ensemble Aida Cuevas & Mariachi Reyena de Los Angeles (October 25) and 1980s sensation Pet Shop Boys (November 1).
A little bit of song and dance isn't the only thing coming to the Long Center stage. Actor Jeffrey Tambor (November 19), scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson (January 18, 2017), comedian Kathy Griffin (February 4, 2017), and author Neil Gaiman (July 6, 2017) are also scheduled to swing by the iconic Austin venue.
The first performances of the new season include Bob Schneider and the Tosca String Quartet (July 15); Neko Case, K.D. Lang, and Laura Veirs (August 3); and a talk with NPR host Kelly McEvers (August 28). The Long Center also has a ton of fun summer programming, including Sound & Cinema, Trailer Food Tuesdays, Summer Stock Austin, and the popular Bubblepalooza (rescheduled to July 16).
As always, the Long Center offers a flexible ticket structure. In addition to the usual create-your-own-season option — which allows you to purchase tickets to three, four, or five of your favorite shows and reap some of the benefits of season ticket holders — is the new Flex Pass. With this fresh alternative, you can commit to a certain number of tickets for the season, but pick the actual shows you'd like to attend at a later date.
The 2016-17 season also includes:
- The Texas Tenors (October 9)
- Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood Live! (October 16)
- The Aluminum Show (October 26)
- Straight No Chaser (October 29)
- Flamenco Austin presents To matito (November 2)
- Pokémon: Symphonic Evolutions (January 7, 2017)
- Odd Squad Live! (January 15, 2017)
- Anton Nel (January 29, 2017)
- Jeanne Robertson (February 3, 2017)
- From the Top (February 26, 2017)
- Elvis Lives! (March 2, 2017)
- Fran Lebowitz (March 8, 2017)
- Pink Martini (March 12, 2017)
- Fela! The Concert (March 26, 2017)
- Greater Tuna (April 15, 2017)
- Momix presents Opus Cactus (April 18, 2017)
- Six Guitars (May 4-7, 2017)
- Circus 1903—The Golden Age of Circus (June 6-8, 2017)
The local venue is also launching a new quarterly publication called The Center, which will keep readers up to date with all of the upcoming shows and unique events. You can enjoy a more in-depth breakdown of the new season in the first issue.