The National Endowment for the Arts has announced its first grant recipients for fiscal year 2015. The organization has awarded $29.1 million in the form of 1,116 grants, 43 of which are granted to Texas groups.
Fifteen of those grants will go to Austin organizations and individuals, including Austin ISD, Mexic-Arte Museum and the Austin Film Society. Local grant recipients will receive $409,000 for creative initiatives ranging from art exhibits to festivals to stage productions.
The Austin grants are as follows:
- Austin Film Society: $34,000 to support year-round film series; more than 200 films are expected to be shown at the Marchesa Hall and Theatre.
- Austin Independent School District: $80,000 to support Creative Learning Initiative, a district-wide 10-year plan to transform the community through arts education.
- Austin Opera: $20,000 to support performances of composer Carlisle Floyd's Of Mice and Men, the company's first American work since 2007.
Center for Women & Their Work: $20,000 to support a series of solo exhibitions for emerging women artists of Texas.
Cine Las Americas: $10,000 to support the Cine Las Americas International Film Festival.
Contemporary Austin Museum Inc.: $35,000 to support an exhibition of experiential art that will provide a survey of both new and existing works ofartwork that is immersive and participatory in nature.
- Fuse Box Austin: $25,000 to support the presentation of selected works at Fusebox Festival.
- Great Promise for American Indians: $10,000 to support Texas American Indian Heritage Festival and Austin Powwow.
Mexic-Arte Museum: $25,000 to support the Emerging Artists Exhibition Program.
Puerto Rican Folkloric Dance, Inc.: $25,000 to support Jibaro Mountain Traditions for All, featuring master artists Christian and Monika Nieves and Ricky Villanueva.
Visions In Rhythm: $10,000 to support the 15th annual Soul to Sole Tap Festival.
Zachary Scott Theater Center: $40,000 to support the world premiere production of On Grace, written and performed by Anna Deavere Smith.