Looking for ways to spend that tax refund you (hopefully) will get soon? CultureMap's Joel Luks has some suggestions for cool day trips where you can relax and spend some of that hard-earned money that Uncle Sam has returned without venturing too far from home.
Who tops the list?
- Bryan: Go on a tour of the Messina Hof Winery and stomp grapes like Lucille Ball did in the classic I Love Lucy series.
- College Station: Visit the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum and view Headed to the White House, an interactive exhibition about the presidential election process, and Conquering Cancer, inspired by the plight of George and Barbara Bush's daughter, Robin, who died of leukemia at age 3.
- Round Top: Go antiquing, listen to classical music at the Round Top Festival Institute and stop for pie at Royer Round Top Cafe.
- Fredericksburg: Hike around enchanting Enchanted Rock State Park.
- Washington-on-the-Brazos: Get a history lesson at the Washington-on-the-Brazos Historic Site, where the Texas Declaration of Independence was signed on March 2, 1836.
- Brenham: Tour the Blue Bell Creameries and sample a new flavor of ice cream from the state's most beloved factory.
Luks appeared on Great Day Houston to discuss his picks. Also in the segment, Tom Parsons of bestfares.com offered some tips on great getaways to Mexico and Europe, as well as some cheap car rentals in the USA.
Watch Joel discuss great day trips: