Editor's note: High-speed Texas travel and Google's new digs lead our top stories. Read on for more of the week's most popular headlines.
1. We’re one big step closer to getting from Austin to Dallas in under 20 minutes. A 19-minute trip from Austin to Dallas is a few miles closer to reality. A proposed project that would connect Austin, Dallas, Houston, Laredo, and San Antonio via a futuristic pod-and-tube system is now one of four U.S. finalists in a global transportation contest.
2. Google unveils new high-end digs in downtown Austin. With politicos and journalists in attendance, Google showed off its brand-new downtown Austin office at 500 W. Second St.
3. $230 million world-class green space in the works for Austin's Waller Creek. A $230 million, 10-year project designed to create a chain of parks, green spaces, and trails along a restored Waller Creek kicked off with a groundbreaking ceremony at Waterloo Park.
4. Renée Zellweger volunteers at Austin Pets Alive, surprising fellow worker. Austinite Lois Rodriguez got a special surprise on her first day of volunteering with Austin Pets Alive, when she was teamed up with celebrity Renée Zellweger.
5. Five new buzzworthy Austin breakfasts to start the day. Skip the convenience foods, set your alarm a little earlier, and make time for breakfast at one of these five new AM hot spots.