Editor's note: There's so much that's beautiful, funny, smart and informative on the Internet. Problem is, there's also a bunch of garbage. Here's the best of the web right now:
1. Pope Francis, Miley Cyrus and Edward Snowden on short list for Time magazine Person of the Year. Only in America would a scantily clad pop star be competing with the frugal-minded leader of the Catholic church for most important person of the year. Miley Cyrus and Pope Francis are among the finalists for Time magazine's 2013 Person of the Year.
2. 13 faces of a newly beardless Mandy Patinkin. The incomparably hirsute Homeland star has shaved his signature beard. Mandy Patinkin is virtually unrecognizable without his signature chin tickler onboard. May we never taken another awesome Hollywood beard for granted.
3. How an abused lion, tiger and bear became an unlikely family. One would think an American black bear, Bengal tiger and African lion would not make good playmates, especially when all three were victims of abuse. But the animal kingdom is full of surprises, and these three beasts are now best friends. They spend their days cuddling, playing and swimming at Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary.
4. 10 reasons Texans hate cold weather. Have we mentioned lately that it is unseasonably chilly in Austin? Even if you've been living under a rock, you're probably still feeling the effects of winter storm Cleon. Misery loves company, so let this list comfort you in your icy prison.
5. Planet Money makes a T-shirt. Alex Bloomberg and NPR's Planet Money team make a cotton T-shirt (depicting a squirrel drinking a martini) and follow it around the world. The journey takes them from the cotton field of Mississippi to yarn manufacturers in Indonesia and factories in Bangladesh. You'll never look at your favorite T-shirt the same again.