On March 19, Swisher Artist Project returns to Vulcan Gas Company for its second Swisher Sweets Austin Takeover, featuring 14 emerging artists and two headliners for 14 hours of musical performances. As your reward for showing up to support the musicians, Swisher Sweets is throwing in some serious samples, specialty drinks, and giveaways.
In 2015, the Swisher Artist Project brought together emerging artists and fans through its first independent music showcase during SXSW. Among the acts for this inaugural all-day fest were Derek Minor and G-Eazy.
For 2016, headliners include Brooklyn-based rapper Talib Kweli, one of the most lyrically gifted, socially aware, and politically insightful rappers to emerge in the last 20 years, and the social media-savvy Waka Flocka Flame, whose rap roots have grown into EDM — and more than 3 million social media followers between Twitter and Instagram.
Here’s a preview of some of the other acts on the bill:
- Andy Allo, the singer/songwriter/guitarist who has been called a refreshing songbird with a bright funk soul.
- Fantastic Negrito, known for his unique fusion of blues, soul, roots, and rock music, who won over critics with his 2015 self-titled EP.
- Taylor Bennett, the younger brother of Chance The Rapper and one of the hottest new talents to come out of Chicago.
- R. LUM.R, whose fluid, hard-to-pin-down style is best described as a combination of narrative-driven lyrics over progressive alternative-R&B production.
- Yonas, from NYC, who has been hailed as hip-hop’s most hyped emerging artists.
- Riders Against the Storm (RAS), who have won Band of the Year at Austin Music Awards not once but twice.
The opener starts at 12:15 pm; musicians play 45-minute sets until the last one begins at 5:15. The party picks up again at 8 pm and runs through 2 am. Do you have the stamina for it?
The event is free, but you want to RSVP for a VIP pass for easy access to Swisher giveaways and free specialty cocktails.