Editor's note: It was all about bars and restaurants this week in Austin as we prepared for Thursday's CultureMap Tastemakers, our annual marquee event. As our stomachs settle (and, let's be honest, our headaches fade), here are the five stories that got Austin's attention this week.
1. The 10 best restaurants where every Austinite should dine in 2018. Sure, they are our nominees for the Restaurant of the Year, but the 10 best eateries in Austin should also be considered the short list for where to eat right now. From pizza joints like Bufalina to dreamy cafes like June's All Day, this the real list we send over when people ask, "what's the best restaurant in Austin?" (And at CultureMap, we get that question a lot.)
2. New high-rise ‘resort’ somehow just quietly opened in downtown Austin. It feels impossible that Austin is at the point where a "resort" can open downtown with little fanfare, but such is the case with this new high-rise.
3. Finding affordable Austin housing is easier than ever with this official new map. Last week, Austin debuted a new map that plots every single affordable housing unit in the city. This handy tool includes details like pricing, location, and maximum income required to qualify.
4. Funky North Loop favorite fights for survival and more Austin restaurant news. Phara's is in danger of closing, which means Austin is in danger of losing the only place where you can watch belly dancing and smoke hookah and BYOB and eat tzatziki at the same time. So much for keeping it weird, y'all.
5. Austin's favorite taco restaurant finally rolls out downtown location. Torchy's is finally coming downtown which means the CultureMap office can finally get tacos for lunch. Now, if only we could convince Tacodeli to open a location on Sixth and Congress...