Editor's note: The longest week there ever was is finally coming to a close. (But seriously, that was a long week, right?) The stories that got people's attention were all about change: new developments, sad shutters, and even a brand-new park taking over a former shopping mall. Read on to find out more of the week's hottest headlines.
1. Popular North Austin bar says goodnight for good after unexpected closure. It was a real kick in the gut(ter ball) when news broke that The Goodnight had unexpectedly closed its doors. Lucky for bowling fans, the entertainment extravaganza has plans to open another outpost in downtown Austin this fall.
2. Massive new development bringing hotel, restaurants, and more to North Austin neighborhood. A 66-acre plot near the Domain is poised to become a North Austin entertainment/business/retail destination. Plans for a hotel, restaurants, office space, and, naturally, condos, are expected to be approved by the Austin City Council on May 24.
3. New North Austin park transforms former Highland Mall into trail and green space. Highland Mall's remarkable transformation from a former shopping mall continued this week when developers opened the Highland Greenway Park, the first of three parks coming to the development.
4. Hip pingpong bar finally serves Austin with opening date — and A-list party. Sharpen those paddles (or whatever you do to paddles) and prepare for Austin's newest nightlife hot spot. Spin, which opens this weekend, is part venue, part bar, part pingpong palace.
5. Dive right into the best swimming holes in and around Austin. 'Tis the season, friends. I learned a lot editing this piece by contributor Mark Henricks. For example, did you know Robert Redford learned to swim in Barton Springs? Learn fun facts plus the best spots to take a dip in this handy roundup.