Editor's note: August is really a magical month. Days stretch on endlessly, nights stay warm, and time slows down (and, in the case of parents scrambling to fill four more weeks of kid-friendly activities before school starts again, it really slows down). Enjoy the magic during this first weekend of August, but first, check out the week's hottest stories.
1. $78 million resort breaking ground in charming Texas Hill Country town. This was not only one of the hottest stories of the week, but possibly the year. Fredericksburg, best known for antique shops and wineries, is breaking ground on a new 22-acre resort called Seven Hills Resort and Conference Center. The goal, says a local civic leader, is to further attract major events to this charming town.
2. Tech company unlocks massive headquarters in Austin's new 'uptown'. Austin-based HomeAway just opened a 20,000-square-foot office, the first part of its eventual 315,000-square-foot headquarters in the Domain. And it's not the only tech company making the move. Quickly, this North Austin 'hood is becoming a mini Silicon Valley.
3. After shutter, beloved banh mi shop rises again with new North Austin cafe. North Austin's tiny banh mi shop Ng BMT may have closed in 2016, but it was not forgotten. Luckily for banh mi lovers (and who isn't?) the owners have reopened a new spot called Ng Cafe. Though it may have a new name, the restaurant is serving the same menu as before. It's a banh mi-racle.
4. Iconic hot dog bar rolls into downtown Austin with first location outside of New York. Schaller’s Stube Sausage Bar food truck rolled into town — specifically to the corner of Congress Avenue and Third Street — in anticipation of its brick-and-mortar. The permanent space, the company's first outside of New York, opens later this year in 600 Congress Ave. C150.
5. Classic downtown Austin hotel enters new season with updated restaurant and bar. Downtown's decadent Four Seasons Austin is undergoing a major facelift. Expect a new restaurant, expanded outdoor seating, and more when the ritzy hotel finishes a revamp this fall.