Editor's note: It's that time again — time to to check in with our top stories of the week. From wildly wealthy Austinites to a new H-E-B, here are the five stories that captured Austin's attention over the past seven days.
1. 7 Austin billionaires cash in on Forbes' list of richest Americans for 2019. There are seven (seven!) billionaires in Austin. Some are household names (especially if you use computers, drink vodka, or buy hair care products), while the others fly under the proverbial radar.
2. Charming small Texas town provides perfect fall getaway just 90 minutes from Austin. In a topsy-turvy, weirdo week that had us turning on both the A/C and the heat, one thing is certain — we need a vacation. And not just any vacation but a trip that feels both luxurious and quaint. Luckily, we found just the place.
3. H-E-B carting new store into Southwest Austin’s Oak Hill neighborhood. Oak Hill, we have good news and bad news. First, the good: H-E-B is opening a new store in the 'hood. And the not-so-good? It means the end for the company's popular grocery store at the "Y" at Highway 290 and U.S. Highway 71. When one door in the freezer aisle closes, another opens ... or something.
4. George Strait’s 220-acre Hill Country resort springs back after massive renovation. After a fire destroyed part of Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort, the property's owners, including country star George Strait, embarked on a two-year, multimillion-dollar renovation. The Hill Country destination is now reopen and visitors are singing its praises.
5. Discount airline adds 3 nonstop flights from Austin to New York City and other popular destinations. Spirit Airlines is adding three nonstop flights from Austin to three very popular destinations. Beginning in 2020, the discount carrier will add nonstop service to New York City, among other places.