Mother’s Day is just around the corner. If you haven’t managed to pick out a gift or planned something special for your mom, we’ve got you covered.
We scoured local shops, restaurants and fun activities for these gift ideas that will let her know how much you love her every day of the year.
For the modern mom
1. This powder-coated, metal-finished Lucy Chair would be perfect for her desk, vanity or as a statement piece. It will brighten up any space she adds it to. Available at Nannie Inez.
2. The little red dress set from Rae Cosmetics includes a beautiful lip shade, lip liner and makeup bag. It’s a fun, bold look that comes with a huge bonus: 50 percent of all proceeds will benefit the Austin Go Red For Women Campaign, which raises awareness of cardiovascular disease among women.
3. This Alexandra von Furstenberg acrylic charm bowl in amethyst is a show-stopping piece that will find a happy home on a mantle or coffee table. It’ll be talked about for years to come. Available at Prize.
4. Help your mom add color and life to her home with this special wheel-thrown porcelain bud vase from Sunroom.
5. She taught you to always be prepared, now with this leather Baggu pouch she’ll always be, too. It’s a perfect size to fill with necessities. Available at Mercury Design Studio.
For the foodie
1. Raw, organic and gluten free, Chocolate Pharmacy is taking everyone’s guilty pleasure to a new level. The chocolates are filed with spices that are delicious and also good for you, something mothers everywhere can get behind and love.
2. There’s nothing quite like celebrating Mother's Day over brunch. East Austin’s new Provence-inspired restaurant LaV is the perfect venue to bring the whole family together. Brunch is served from 11 am to 2:30 pm.
3. From sushi and sauces to knife skills and bread basics, the cooking classes at Whole Foods Market Culinary Center will be the perfect gift for the mom looking for a new cooking adventure.
4. Spoil her with a gift basket from Con Olio, a local shop that treats olive oil and vinegars like fine wine. The set includes oil and vinegar, olive oil crackers, French grain mustard, a bottle of wine and more.
For the art lover
1. This one of a kind diamond slice cluster necklace by local artist Shaesby can be found at Eliza Page. Its geometric design and delicate nature will be the perfect extravagant gift for Mother’s Day.
2. Experiencing James Turrell’s Skyspace on the UT campus is a wonderful way to spend sunrise or sunset with your mom. Colored lights illuminate the walls making the sky change colors before your eyes. It’s free, but reservations must be made ahead of time.
3. Ballet Austin’s Mother’s Day weekend is always a treat and this year is no different. The company has pulled out all the stops with the production of Sleeping Beauty set to Tchaikovsky’s score.
4. This gorgeous book, Nature Morte by Michael Petry focuses on contemporary artists working in the still life tradition, and celebrates the development and range of the still life discipline. Available at BookPeople.
For the outdoor enthusiast
1. Take her on an adventure in Lady Bird Lake. Rowing Dock ATX offers canoe, kayak and Stand Up Paddle board rentals for all levels.
2. Bring her green thumb inside with this Austin Star Planter. The concrete star is made by Flat Earth Designs and is perfect for succulents and herbs.
3. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is the perfect place to bring your mom and family to celebrate the beauty of Texas blooms. An array of events take place throughout the week and weekend, including classes, tours and art gallery openings.
4. Perfect for bird watching in the backyard or on hikes, these binoculars will be a fun way to experience our feathered friends. Available at Whole Earth Provision.