What do you get when you take 23 chefs, give them a whole lot of beef and add some flame? Austin Food and Wine Alliance’s fourth annual festival of meat, better known as Live Fire!, being held this Thursday, April 17 at the picturesque Salt Lick Pavilion. Eat your vegetables for lunch and pull on your stretchy pants, because you won’t want to miss one tasty bite of the carnivorous indulgence that supports the future of Austin’s culinary community.
“Live Fire! is truly one of the country’s foremost celebrations of beef,” said Paul Barnes, president of the Austin Food and Wine Alliance. “In addition to having a supreme lineup of chef mastery and amazing wine, artisan spirits and craft brews, we’re excited that the funds raised will directly benefit our community with culinary grants for chefs, farmers, artisan producers and nonprofits.”
The menu for the fourth annual event shows off the diverse talent of the chefs from across Texas. On Thursday, they will serve up everything from mouth-watering Texas barbecue and Mexican skirt steak to more international flavors like a French-inspired beef torchon, a Spanish morcilla and a number of Asian-influenced dishes.
Guests will pair these dishes with samples from over two dozen wineries including a special collection of wines curated by Sommelier Paula Rester. Local beverage makers Argus Cidery, Dripping Springs Vodka, Dulce Vida Organic Tequila, Paula’s Texas Spirits, Saint Arnold Brewing Company, Treaty Oak Distilling Spirits, Twisted X Brewing Company and White Hat Rum will also be on hand to quench guests’ thirst.
Proceeds from Live Fire! benefit the Austin Food & Wine Alliance, a nonprofit that awards grants for culinary innovation to chefs, farmers, artisan producers and nonprofits in Central Texas. Two of the artisans participating in this year’s event, Argus Cidery and Salt & Time Butcher Shop and Salumeria, are previous grant recipients.
Here's the full menu from Live Fire!'s participating chefs.
- Jason Dady of Jason Dady Restaurants (San Antonio): New York Strip Tiger Cry Salad with Fresh Red Curry Paste, Cucumber, Mint and Red Boat Fish Sauce
- Aaron Franklin of Franklin Barbecue (Austin): Beef Plate with Ribs & Smoked Pimiento Cheese
- Brandon Fuller of Café Josie (Austin): Braised Short Rib and Sweet Potato with Chili Aioli
- Monica Glenn of Qui (Austin): Champurrado (chocolate-based drink) with Chocolate Mousse, Coconut Rice Pudding and Charred Orange Peel
- Ronnie Killen of Killen’s Barbecue (Pearland): Killen’s Beef Ribs & Brisket
- Kristine Kittrell of WeatherUp (Austin): Beef Torchon with Escargot and Grilled Green Garlic Butter
- Lawrence Kocurek of Trace (Austin): Beef Tongue & Sweetbread Skewers with Pickled Vegetables
- Rick Lopez of La Condesa (Austin): Beef Taquitos with Ribeye, Carrot Top Chimichurri served with Bacon Fat Tortillas
- Jeff Martinez of El Chile Café y Cantina (Austin): Mole de Res with Charred Jalapenos and Epazote.
- Matt McCallister of FT33 (Dallas): Beef Morcilla, Tallow Fried Potatoes with Smoked Beef Fat Aioli and Pickled Wild Onion Puree
- Kendall Melton of Contigo (Austin): Buckwheat Biscuit, Charred Lardo Marshmallow and Texas Blackberries
- Rene Ortiz & Laura Sawicki of Angry Bear (Austin): Tien Tsing Beef & Tofu with Yellow Rock Sugar and Daikon Numbing Salt
- Jesse Perez of Arcade Midtown Kitchen (San Antonio): Toasted Chile and Garlic Skirt Steak with Jalapeno Jelly, Cherry Tomato Relish and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Timothy Rattray of The Granary ‘Cue and Brew (San Antonio): Smoke-Grilled Beef Cheeks, Plantain and Chimichurri
- Scott Roberts of Salt Lick (Driftwood): Moist Brisket served on Fresh-patted Flour Tortillas roasted over the Brisket Fire
- Ben Runkle, Bryan Butler and Josh Jones of Salt & Time Butcher Shop and Salumeria (Austin): Premium Rotisserie Cuts
- Mari Soto and Mark Morales of Whole Foods Market (Austin): Roasted Bone Marrow with Sriracha Vinaigrette and Mongolian Beef Jerky
- Callie Speer of Swift’s Attic (Austin): Banana Cream, Malted Chocolate Stout, Hazelnut Beer Brittle and Banana Bubbles
- Josh Watkins of The Carillon (Austin): Sugar Cane-Skewered Beef Tongue, Jalapeno Chutney, Fish Sauce Laquer, Black Garlic BBQ & Thai Basil