We love our sports here in Texas, so it's only natural that the 2014 State Fair of Texas would get in on the action with a new exhibit titled Texas Sports Legends that honors some of the biggest and brightest athletes the Lone Star State has ever seen.
The exhibit, put together in conjunction with the Dallas Historical Society and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, will be located in the Hall of State at Fair Park and will focus on a selection of leading legends in a variety of sports already in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. It will showcase memorabilia the Hall of Fame has collected since it started in 1951.
Among the big names to be honored in the exhibit are auto racer A.J. Foyt; baseball pitchers Roger Clemens and Nolan Ryan; basketball players Rolando Blackman and Clyde Drexler; boxer George Foreman; football players/coaches Joe Green, Tom Landry and Doak Walker; golfers Ben Crenshaw and Lee Trevino; hockey player Mike Modano; soccer player Mia Hamm; and runners Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson.
There will also be a special section honoring Future Texas Sports Legends, five people chosen by fans as having the potential to make it into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame one day. The public voting ended on July 17.
Here is the list of potential Future Texas Sports Legends:
- Baseball players Yu Darvish and Clayton Kershaw
- Basketball coach Gregg Popovich
- Basketball players Tim Duncan, Brittney Griner, Dirk Nowitzki, Julius Randle and Chris Bosh
- Football players Dez Bryant, Johnny Manziel, Adrian Peterson, JJ Watt and Matthew Stafford
- Golfer Jordan Spieth
- Gymnastics gold medalist Nastia Liukin
- Hockey player Jamie Benn
- Soccer player Clint Dempsey