Editor's note: Over the course of a week, we come across dozens of newsy tidbits and interesting links that we want to share with you. For this weekly roundup, we gather all the news we found fascinating, horrifying, important and hilarious.
1. It would be a lot cooler if you watched McConaughey's audition tape for Dazed and Confused. Not surprisingly, Matthew McConaughey nails the character of Wooderson during his audition for the famous 1993 Richard Linklater film.
2. Ethan Hawke is putting the Boyhood kids under his wing. Speaking of Linklater, after his film Boyhood raked in the Academy Award nominations, Oscar hopeful Ethan Hawke is helping his on-screen kids navigate the fame and demands of awards season.
3. Cupcake amnesty is a thing. Texas' recently instated agriculture commissioner made "cupcake amnesty" his first official move in office, allowing parents and students to bring cupcakes and other baked good to class. There was cupcake controversy, however, after the previous ag commissioner said the amnesty already existed for class parties. Regardless, cupcakes are in!
4. Worms that can't get drunk and other cool science breakthroughs. The University of Texas at Austin did a roundup of the coolest science breakthroughs to come from the university in 2014, which include a salt-based cancer remedy, potential bug-inspired hearing aids and (of course) worms that can't get drunk.
5. A Texan in Paris right now. A UT student studying abroad wrote about his experience being in Paris during the Charlie Hebdo attacks and subsequent "Je Suis Charlie" movement.
6. An Ohio court will determine if this Drafthouse film is "harmful to juveniles." A substitute teacher made her class watch The ABCs of Death, an intensely graphic horror movie from Drafthouse Films, because she allegedly thought that it was a Spanish art house film. The substitute is now being charged with "five felony counts of disseminating matter harmful to juveniles."
7. Enjoy an auditory preview of this year's SXSW Music lineup. Do512 put together a Spotify playlist featuring the artists that have been announced so far for SXSW 2015.
8. Is that a cricket in my food? The acclaimed Salt & Time Butcher Shop and Salumeria teamed up with Austin nonprofit Little Herds to create a cricket mortadella.