Links We Love
Editor's note: There's so much that's beautiful, funny, smart and informative on the Internet. Problem is, there's also a bunch of garbage. Here's the best of the web right now:
1. Couple asks Internet to name their new baby. It was really only a matter of time until someone crowd-sourced the right to name his offspring. Stephen McLaughlin, a Canadian software developer, took the bait with namemydaughter.com. The results are about as awesome as you would expect, with Megatron, Zelda and StreetLamp all making a strong showing.
2. What's inside this mystery house in North Carolina? We do love a good mystery, and this colonial-looking home with conspicuously blacked-out windows and no driveway has all the makings of a twisted tale. We won't spoil the surprise, but suffice it to say you'd be hard pressed to guess what's waiting behind the front door.
3. 50-foot waves predicted in Hawaii this week. The surf should be hopping just in time for the aptly named Big Wave Invitational on Oahu's north shore, but organizers are postponing the event due to the strong winds that will accompany the wicked waves. The 50-foot waves will be Hawaii's biggest in a decade, and although they might not be fit for surfing, the view still ought to be pretty sweet.
4. Axe body spray wants to make love, not war. Remember when we said Old Spice was upping the body-spray advertising ante? Well, Axe has answered the call. In a new ad set to run during the Super Bowl, soldiers put down their guns in the name of love to announce the arrival of Axe Peace.
5. Man rides bike over West Seventh Street Bridge arches in Fort Worth. In this video from the Fort Worth Star Telegram, a man casually bikes over — not across — the West Seventh Street Bridge. It's an impressive feat of bravery and balance.