UT Austin named best graduate school in Texas by U.S. News and World Report
TOP TIER EDUCATION
The 2023 results are in, and U.S. News and World Report has deemed the University of Texas at Austin to be the best grad school in the state, with some of its departments landing among the top 10 and 20 in the country.
The university's Cockrell School of Engineering cracked the top 10 nationally, coming in at No. 7, while McCombs School of Business earned the No. 20 spot among business schools. UT Austin's School of Nursing also pulled in a No. 20 national ranking, while its College of Education nabbed No. 16. Finally, the university’s LBJ School of Public Affairs landed a top 10 spot in the “Best Public Affairs Programs” list, tying with eight other universities around the country.
U.S. News publishes its national "Best Graduate Schools" rankings every year, which looks at several programs including business, education, engineering, fine arts, health, and many others. For the 2023-2024 report, the publication decided to withhold its rankings for law and medical schools, which will be published later this year. It also changed the methodology for ranking education and business schools by focusing on outcome rather than a program’s reputation and selectivity.
“When prospective students are considering their options for graduate school, the Best Graduate Schools rankings are designed to help them identify schools that excel in the program they want to study,” said LaMont Jones, senior editor of Education at U.S. News. “With many options available, U.S. News provides a wealth of data in an easy format to help each student make the best decision.”
Because some category rankings have not been released, UT Austin’s Dell Medical School is unranked in the “Best Medical Schools: Research” and “Primary Care” categories. Additionally, the School of Law previously ranked No. 1 in Texas for the 2022-2023 academic year.
One notable difference from the 2022-2023 report was the university’s graduate geology program, which fell from No. 1 to No. 2 this year. The remaining four programs all maintained their top placements.
The No. 1 UT Austin graduate programs for 2023-2024 are:
- Accounting, the McCombs School of Business
- Petroleum Engineering, Cockerell School of Engineering
- Latin American History, the College of Liberal Arts
- Sociology of Population, the College of Liberal Arts
“It’s wonderful to be recognized among our peer institutions for the scholarship and accomplishments coming out of the LBJ School’s robust faculty, students, staff and alumni,” said LBJ School Dean J.R. DeShazo. “The dynamic capital city of Austin and state of Texas offer endless opportunities to get your hands on the most important policy challenges in the country.”
Here’s how UT Austin compares nationally in U.S. News’ overall rankings:
- No. 7 – Best Engineering Schools
- No. 16 – Best Education Schools
- No. 17 – Best Law Schools (ranked in 2022)
- No. 20 – Best Business Schools
- No. 20 – Best Nursing Schools: Master’s
- No. 23 – Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
- UT Austin hooks top rankings for entrepreneurship in prestigious national report ›
- UT Austin leads nation with 2 of the top entrepreneurship programs, says Princeton Review ›
- UT Austin hooks the No. 2 spot in new ranking of best Texas schools ›
- UT Austin hooks No. 2 ranking on list of best college investments in Texas ›
- UT Austin hooks No. 8 ranking among best public colleges in U.S. — and No. 1 in Texas ›
- UT Austin hooks No. 10 ranking among nation’s best public universities ›