Share the Mic
A new, groundbreaking basketball conference is coming to the 2024 Final Four on April 4-5. Changing The Game says it's the first-ever all-female player and coach development conference, led by Austin native BriAnna Joy Garza.
Garza is a professional shooting coach and owner of Shooters Shot, a basketball mentorship and training program. She was inspired to create the conference after she witnessed female players only being asked about their experiences through a "gendered perspective," rather than through their hard work and skill development.
The action-packed conference will feature empowering speeches and panel discussions, hands-on demonstrations, and networking opportunities.
At Garza's side to lead the two-day conference is Lady Magic herself: Nancy Lieberman. Lieberman is a former professional basketball player, a two-time famed Olympian, and a member of multiple Halls of Fame.
"Nancy Lieberman was my No. 1 pick because there are few names in basketball that are more recognizable and respected than hers," Garza said in a release. "But every speaker has something unique to offer attendees. We are covering basketball development from all angles and bridging gaps between different schools of thought in the industry."
Garza continued, "We’re combating the current culture of toxic competition and fighting for a new wave of collaboration in the player development space. We’re not ‘passing the mic,’ we’re sharing it."
Additional speakers at the conference include:
- Vera Jo Bustos – Mentality Solutions founder and former college basketball coach
- Dr. Hillary Cauthen – Director of performance services at Texas Optimal Performance & Psychological Services in Austin
- LaSandra “San” Dixon – Defend Your Legacy Basketball founder and director of camp programs for Dick’s Sporting Goods, Curry Brand, Mamba Athletics, and the Jr. NBA & WNBA
- Julie Fournier – Ball Is Psych founder and director of player development at Clemson Women’s Basketball
- Marke Freeman – ESPN analyst, Max-OUT Foundation founder, and author of Champions Creed
- Kait Jackson – Mint Athletics founder and lead biomechanist for University of Texas, specializing in elite sports performance
- Jasmine Jenkins – Davidson College assistant coach and recipient of Women’s Basketball Coaches Association’s 30 under 30
- Beth Mounier – Mounshot Performance founder and former college basketball coach
- Jess Racz –JR Performance founder