Editor’s note: It’s that time again — time to check in with our top stories. Here are five articles that captured our collective attention over the past seven days.
1. Latest report says I-35 in Austin is a freeway without a future. On the heels of TxDOT's $606 million expansion of I-35 through Austin, a new report has declared the freeway has no future if Americans want to reduce the harmful impacts of construction.
2. Austin digs up 8th best ranking nationwide for urban gardening, says report. In a “post-pandemic” world, Austinites are focusing their attention on one hobby in particular: urban gardening.
3. Austin is the most expensive city in Texas for a night out, and 3rd priciest in the U.S. You aren't imagining things: A night out in Austin has always been pricey, but it has only become even more expensive in recent years.
4. Historic Hill Country mansion transforms into luxe vacation getaway. Hot on the heels of last week's luxury hotel news, Fredericksburg is getting even more accommodations this summer.
5. Iconic Austin honky tonk receives official historic designation this week. The celebration took place on what would have been James White's 84th birthday.