9 Austin hotels check in as best in Texas in coveted annual ranking
the inn crowd
Finding hotel accommodations for that next vacation or staycation in Texas just got a lot easier — if you have the budget. A new list released by US News and & World Report has ranked nine Austin hotels among the best in the state. The publication collects its information through hotel ratings, customer reviews, and industry award analysis.
Austin's top-rated hotel on the list, Commodore Perry Estate from the Auberge Resorts Collection, made No. 3. This is no surprise to Austinites who read such lists and should be used to seeing the resort take top honors. Although it's out of most locals' price range for a staycation, it is known around town for Lutie's Garden Restaurant — itself known for extravagance in decor and plating, while championing seasonal local ingredients. Events at the estate throughout the year bring more Austinites through the door without stretching their budgets too far.
The next best-rated and even better-known hotel in Austin is The Driskill, at No. 8. There are stories of hauntings, but the grandiose building downtown draws visitors constantly, whether they're stepping off sixth street for a drink, getting a classy brunch, or attending an event. This starts a streak within the top 10, also including the business-ready Fairmont Austin (attached to the Austin Convention Center) at No. 9 and an installation of a lauded chain, Four Seasons Hotel Austin, at No. 10.
Houston’s only double five-star hotel and spa The Post Oak Hotel was awarded the No. 1 spot, known for its “tropical sanctuary” pool, nine restaurants and bars, and ultra-modern room amenities and decor. In another US News & World Report article, The Post Oak was ranked the No. 31 best hotel in the nation.
Austin had the greatest number of hotels in the top 25; Houston and San Antonio tied with six, and Dallas only garnered three, but all those cities had one each in the top four. Central Texas (considering Austin and San Antonio hotels) contained a high occurrence of resorts that are primarily spas compared to the other regions — perhaps because of the Hill Country.
The full list of the top 25 best hotels in Texas include:
- No. 1, The Post Oak Hotel at Uptown Houston
- No. 2, Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek – Dallas
- No. 3, Commodore Perry Estate, Auberge Resorts Collection – Austin
- No. 4, Hotel Emma – San Antonio
- No. 5, Four Seasons Hotel – Houston
- No. 6, The Ritz-Carlton – Dallas
- No. 7, Thompson San Antonio Riverwalk
- No. 8, The Driskill – Austin
- No. 9, Fairmont Austin
- No. 10, Four Seasons Hotel – Austin
- No. 11, JW Marriott Houston Downtown
- No. 12, Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa – San Antonio
- No. 13, JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort and Spa
- No. 14, The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa
- No. 15, The St. Regis Houston
- No. 16, Austin Proper Hotel & Residences
- No. 17, Miraval Austin
- No. 18, Lake Austin Spa Resort
- No. 19, La Cantera Resort & Spa – San Antonio
- No. 20, Hotel Granduca Austin
- No. 21, Mokara Hotel & Spa – San Antonio
- No. 22, Hotel Granduca Houston
- No. 23, Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa – Austin
- No. 24, The Ashton Hotel – Fort Worth
- No. 25, Thompson Dallas