A north Austin suburb is a big magnet for homebuyers. Leander, in fact, boasts one of the hottest ZIP codes in the country.
OpenDoor analyzed data from the local Multiple Listing Services (MLS) where Opendoor Brokerage operates, they say. The neighborhoods were ranked by total homes that went into contract within 90 days of listing in 2022.
Leander – a city of 67,000 about a half-hour northwest of Austin – tracks with a post-pandemic trend that OpenDoor identified when compiling its 2022 list: that buyers were gravitating toward “a small-town feel while close to a bustling downtown for entertainment, dining, and shopping,” they say.
“Whether to be closer to outdoor and recreational activities or to join a close-knit community, the desire to belong remained strong in 2022 as the recalibration of work and personal priorities encouraged people to move away from city centers,” the report’s author says.
For the same reasons, another Central Texas city – New Braunfels – was deemed a top ZIP for 2022. Its 78130 lands at No. 4 on the list for the second year in a row.
San Antonio also made the top 20 in the "emerging" top ZIPs, with 78253 coming in at No. 11.
“We are seeing homeowners vie for that sense of belonging in cities and towns accessible to major metros via short commutes,” OpenDoor says.
Elsewhere in Texas
Leander, New Braunfels, and San Antonio are the only Central Texas ZIPs to make it into the top 20, but they are in good company with several others around Texas.
The two Dallas-area ZIPs that made it into OpenDoor's report are Forney's 75126 and Aubrey's 76227, ranking No. 5 and No. 13.
Katy’s 77494, in the Houston area, is the highest-scoring ZIP in the state, landing at No. 3.
“Half of first-time home buyers say ‘family’ is the top reason they decided to purchase a home in 2022. Katy, TX and Yukon, OK continued their reign on our hottest ZIPs list,” OpenDoor says. “They draw homeowners for their proximity to major employers while still being a good fit for families.”
Another Houston suburb, Cypress’ 77433, comes in at No. 7.
The hottest ZIP code in the country is 37042 in Clarksville, Tennessee, which has “a thriving, close-knit local community while still being close to the action in Nashville,” OpenDoor says.
The top 20 ZIP codes in the U.S. for 2022 are:
- No. 1 – Clarksville, Tennessee (37042)
- No. 2 – Yukon, Oklahoma (73099)
- No. 3 – Katy, Texas (77494)
- No. 4 – New Braunfels, Texas (78130)
- No. 5 – Forney, Texas (75126)
- No. 6 – Summerville, South Carolina (29486)
- No. 7 – Cypress, Texas (77433)
- No. 8 – Kissimmee, Florida (34747)
- No. 9 – Leander, Texas (78641)
- No. 10 – Murfreesboro, Tennessee (37128)
- No. 11 – San Antonio, Texas (78253)
- No. 12 – Loganville, Georgia (30052)
- No. 13 – Aubrey, Texas (76227)
- No. 14 – Winter Garden, Florida (34787)
- No. 15 – Cumming, Georgia (30040)
- No. 16 – Suwanee, Georgia (30024)
- No. 17 – Gallatin, Tennessee (37066)
- No. 18 – San Diego, California (92101)
- No. 19 – Port Saint Lucie, Florida (34953)
- No. 20 – Parker, Colorado (80134)