Austin 'Top Chef' winner emerges after controversy to open upscale Mexican restaurant, plus more top stories
Editor’s note: It’s that time again — time to check in with our top stories. From cross-country tours to best-in-state colleges and snacks, here are five articles that captured our collective attention over the past seven days.
1. Austin 'Top Chef' winner emerges after controversy to open upscale Mexican restaurant. Bacalar has opened after years of preparation and controversy surrounding the chef's departure from his last role.
2. Nebraska Furniture Mart to bring massive new store and 700 jobs to Austin suburb. NFM will anchor a development that will include a 250-room hotel and 30,000-square-foot convention center.
3. Hello Kitty Cafe Truck says hi to Austin on cross-country tour. Among the new items is a bright pink tote bag with rainbow straps and desserts decorating the front, and an assortment of Hello Kitty baked goods.
4. UT Austin rises to the top in new list of best Texas schools for 2024. UT Austin claimed No. 2 in Texas, and ranked No. 32 nationally. It fared similarly in Niche's list of top public universities.
5. How to get every possible discount at the 2023 State Fair of Texas. The fair starts its 24-day run at Fair Park in Dallas on September 29, bringing with it music, games, food, and more.
- Crane flies have landed ever so lightly in Austin, plus more top stories ›
- Dip your toes into these 7 Austin pools with passes, snacks, and summer events; plus more top stories ›
- Pfun Austin suburb pflies to top 50 most livable small cities, plus more top stories ›
- New poll reveals shocking results on how outsiders view Texas, plus more top stories ›
- New documentary explores Austin and San Antonio as an emerging mega-metro, plus more top stories ›
- UT Austin earns No. 6 ranking on new list of best public universities in U.S., plus more top stories ›
- This Hill Country road near Austin was voted one of the best scenic routes in the U.S., plus more top stories ›
- Charming Austin suburb is the fastest-growing city in the country, plus more top stories ›
- Acclaimed East Austin taqueria risks closure amid bureaucratic battle, plus more top stories ›
- Surprising Central Texas city boasts No. 1 U.S. housing market for first-time buyers, plus more top stories ›
- Austin's Top Chef competitor to open Mexican eatery in trendy downtown district ›
- Austin 'Top Chef' winner emerges after controversy to open upscale Mexican restaurant ›