Austin Film Society presents The Complete Lone Wolf & Cub
Originating in a manga by writer Kazuo Koike and artist Goseki Kojima, the Lone Wolf & Cub series is one of the definitive Japanese genre creations. When the Shogun’s assassin Ogami Ittō is betrayed by his own clan, he and his one-year-old son, his only surviving relative, hit the road for revenge. The great success of the films ensured that it was a long road indeed. Austin Film Society will present the entire original series, which captures many different variations in tone and attitude, but always remains satisfyingly action-packed and bloody.
- June 2: Lone Wolf & Cub: Sword Of Vengeance - In this installment, the Shadow Yagyu clan plots to solidify its power by taking Ogami’s coveted position of shogun’s executioner for its own. The legendary assassin escapes with his infant son, Daigoro, and swears vengeance.
- June 6: Lone Wolf And Cub: Baby Cart At The River Styx - This exploitation-cinema classic, second in the Lone Wolf & Cub series, takes the action and graphic violence of the first film to delirious new heights, Itto Ogami and his young son Daigoro continue their quest for vengeance through meifumado, the spiritual way of “demons and damnation,” pursued constantly by the Shadow Yagyu clan and the shogun’s spies.
- June 9: Lone Wolf & Cub: Baby Cart To Hades - Unfolding in an idyllic countryside that contrasts sharply with the violence that occurs within it, the third Lone Wolf & Cub film follows Itto Ogami and his son Daigoro as they continue their journey and stumble upon a crime scene involving a group of lowlife swordsmen from the watari-kashi class.
- June 16: Lone Wolf & Cub: Baby Cart In Peril - In this distinctly lowbrow entry in the Lone Wolf & Cub series, Samurai Itto Ogami is hired by the Owari clan to assassinate a tattooed woman who is killing her enemies and cutting off their topknots. Meanwhile, his young son Daigoro is separated from his father when he follows a pair of traveling street performers outside of town.
- June 23: Lone Wolf & Cub: Baby Cart In The Land Of Demons - Balancing physical action with Buddhist musings on life and death, the most spiritual of the Lone Wolf & Cub films finds Samurai Itto Ogami’s combat skills put to the test by five different warrior-messengers.
- June 30: Lone Wolf & Cub: White Heaven In Hell - For the final Lone Wolf & Cub film, star Tomisaburo Wakayama decided to make the sort of wild movie he’d always wanted to: one in which the Samurai Lone Wolf battles zombies and his son Daigoro’s baby cart zips improbably across an icy landscape on skis.