Experience Waller Creek like never before when the urban space becomes a fantastic light show next month. On November 13, light installations designed by local architects and landscape architects will illuminate Waller Creek between Fifth and Ninth streets, transforming the creek into a walkable community space.
Dubbed Creek Show, the initiative is more than a year in the making and aims to involve the community in the revitalization of the Waller Creek urban area, which will be under construction for the next decade or more. With its first ever Light Night event, Creek Show hopes to "surprise and delight the community while also creating awareness about the importance of Waller Creek’s transformation for Austin’s social, cultural and ecological future."
During Light Night 2014, Austinites can stroll along the creek and experience public works of art. Guests are also encouraged to visit Waller Creek-based businesses, such as Easy Tiger (which will host happy hour from 5-7 pm), and catch a DJ set on the Sabine St. Deck (from 7-9 pm). The night closes with live music at Empire Control Room from 9 pm - midnight.
Below is a detailed look at the 2014 art installations — a sneak peek of renderings is available above.
- “Tracing the Line” by Baldridge Architects: Segments of thin illuminated LED tubes emerge from the creek creating a winding line of luminaries.
- “High Water Mark” by Thoughtbarn: Located under the Seventh Street Bridge, “High Water Mark” is a 100-foot long installation of fluid EL wire suspended approximately 20 feet above the creek.
- “Flow” by Design Workshop: Color changing, horizontal tapestries reveal wind patterns and emulate the rhythm and surface of the creek.
- “Hidden Measures” by Jason Sowell: Photoluminescent paint stenciled to sidewalks and walls reveals the physical dimensions of the hydrologic infrastructure within and below the creek.
- “Light Bridge” by Legge Lewis Legge: Repeated hanging rope and electroluminescent wire create a glowing 3D image of a bridge hovering over the river.
Creek Show Light Night 2014 takes place on November 13 from 5 pm to midnight. More information about the initiative is available here.