The Settlement Home is a private, licensed nonprofit that cares for children who come from abusive and neglectful backgrounds. Their mission is to promote healing and growth in children, young adults, and families by providing a continuum of care, support, and resources. They serve individuals who have experienced severe emotional trauma, abuse, and neglect. Through a variety of services and programs, the Settlement Home for Children is able to meet the specific needs of each individual they serve.
Volunteers play an integral part in serving as role models to the children at the Settlement Home. There are several opportunities to get involved:
- Individual mentors build a healthy, positive relationship with one child through both on and off campus activities
- Cottage volunteers work with a group of residents at one of the Settlement Home for Children's cottages and assist with leading recreation or daily routine activities
- School volunteers provide academic assistance as a tutor, participate in classroom group activities or field trips, and provide additional support to help students achieve academic success
- Recreation volunteers lead a recreation or health and fitness class, teach music lessons, and hosts workshops
- Group volunteers assist with campus beautification, host a dinner or event, teach a vocational class, support fundraising events, and assist with holiday activities
The Settlement Home for Children hosts an annual garage and estate sale at the Palmer Events Center the first weekend of November each year. They also host Giving for Living on the last day of the sale, which partners with nonprofits in the Austin area to provide shopping certificates to individuals and families deemed to be in the greatest need. To date, more than 25,000 certificates have been distributed to over 100 nonprofit agencies and schools throughout the community.
The Settlement Home for Children also hosts Shining Star: A Night to Inspire, an evening that honors the Community Youth Council, which consists of area high school students who are committed to giving back to the community.
The Settlement Club is a group of 450 women who volunteer across campus in a variety of ways.