News You Can Eat
Editor’s note: We get it. It can be difficult to keep up with the fast pace of Austin’s restaurant and bar scene. We have you covered with our regular roundup of essential food news.
Juice companies always claim to be about wellness, but one father-son team's resume is really ripe for a culinary application. Franchisees Jeff and Ty Mobley just opened Austin's first Clean Juice location following their success owning iCRYO Cryotherapy. They had been wanting to own a smoothie store for a while, but decided that the juice would only be worth the squeeze if it were USDA-certified organic. Clean Juice fits the bill. Along with its cold-pressed juices and smoothies, it offers wraps, sandwiches, açaí bowls, toasts, salads, and more. The fast-casual store is open now at 6611 S MoPac Expw., Ste. 600.
Other news and notes
As we as a culture tack on more and more streaming services, it gets even more confusing to figure out how to watch anything. Still, the FIFA Women's World Cup is a can't-miss event, and Meanwhile Brewing Co. is sorting out the logistics. Visitors can enjoy the games with a cold beer and bites from five food trucks as the game streams on a giant screen outside. In celebration, guests get a dollar off pints of the brewery's soccer-themed IPA, "Hat Trick" ("flavors of strawberry, orange, creamsicle, and melon").
National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day isn't exactly raising awareness for an important cause, but it's a chance to get free cookies from Tiff's Treats, and we stand by that kind of thing. On August 4, in-store customers will each receive one free chocolate chip cookie, served warm. No purchase is necessary but...you know how that goes. The cookie delivery service is celebrating all kinds of things on social media recently, so check Instagram and other platforms for more discounts and giveaways.
Splitting the bill takes too many brain cells for brunch. North Italia is making it simple with a three-course prix fixe brunch every weekend this month, with both sweet and savory options. Choose between starters like banana coffee cake or a charcuterie plate; mains like as cannoli french toast, a farmers market scramble, or pizza; and desserts like salted caramel custard (budino) and Italian donuts (zeppole). The three courses cost $35, tacking on $10 per optional brunch cocktail. Reserve at northitalia.com.
Diner Bar and The Grey Market, both inside the Thompson Austin, are launching the new Austin Family Kitchen Series with support from some of the city's best chefs on a rotating basis. This event series is all about collaboration, led by Mashama Bailey and chef de cuisine Kristine Kittrell, who have recieved several accolades and awards for their work. They'll invite chefs like Philip Speer of Comedor, Todd Duplechan of Lenoir and Vixen’s Wedding, Tracy Malechek-Ezekiel of Birdie’s, and more for collaborations. So far, dinners are scheduled between August 7 and September 9. Browse the calendar and purchase tickets ($125) via Resy.
Arik Davis of Biggie's Yard Bird recently sustained some severe injuries in a motorcycle accident — luckily he was wearing a helmet, but he won't be able to move around for a total of at least 12 weeks. Armadillo Den is hosting a fundraiser for Davis, which will go toward medical expenses, rent, and even buying him a car if they surpass their goals. On August 7th from 5-11 pm, all proceeds go to the fund, and a silent auction will contribute prizes from beer and liquor brands, gift cards to local businesses, and more. People can also support via the GoFundMe.
- 6 things to know in Austin food right now: Renowned ramen spot launches omakase spin-off ›
- 7 things to know right now in Austin food: Cult favorite pizza finds a permanent home ›
- 7 things to know in Austin food right now: Live fire steakhouse heats up historic Seaholm District ›
- 11 things to know in Austin food right now: Combo bar, grill, and dog park is off-leash soon ›
- 7 things to know in Austin food right now: San Francisco ramen shop noodles into town ›
- 7 things to know in Austin food right now: Classic San Marcos pizza joint returns ›
- 6 things to know in Austin food right now: Neighborhood Italian favorite plans new pizza joint ›
- 7 things to know in Austin food right now: 2 healthy fast casual chains make a home in Mueller ›
- 5 things to know in Austin food right now: Deep dish pizza fave takes a slice of Bee Cave ›
- 6 things to know right now in Austin food news: Iconic coffee shop expands even farther south ›