It wasn’t as flashy as the Golden Globes or Oscars’ nominee announcements, but this year the Austin Film Society added a bit of drama to its release of the list of Texas Film Awards honorees — who do often possess Oscar-level glitz and glamour.
Rather than release the names piecemeal as in the past, they dropped them in one fell swoop on Thursday, January 23.
AFS Associate Director Holly Herrick did the honors, announcing names of both the inductees and the people inducting them, who are usually notable in their own right.
Here is the complete honoree list for the 2014 Texas Film Hall of Fame:
• Master of Ceremonies: Actor and native Texan Luke Wilson, known for his work in all of Wes Anderson’s and other film, including The Skeleton Twins, showing at Sundance this year.
• Rising Star Award: Amber Heard, who recently starred in Machete Kills and All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, is set to star in “some blockbusters” and will “soon be the next household name,” said Herrick.
• Representing “the next generation of American auteurs,” said Herrick, Dallas native and current Austinite David Gordon Green (Pineapple Express, Undertow, George Washington) will be honored and is set to be inducted by Danny McBride, co-creator and star of Eastbound & Down, on which Green collaborated.
• Soundtrack Award: Mac Davis, the Lubbock native whose country and countrypolitan tunes washed over the ‘70s and ‘80s, also starred in 1979 drama North Dallas Forty, (allegedly) based on the Dallas Cowboys teams of the era.
• Priscilla Presley, widow of Elvis and businesswoman, will present to Davis.
• Louis Black will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award for his considerable contributions to Austin film. Co-founder of SXSW and The Austin Chronicle, as well as the Austin Film Society and Texas Film Awards, Black “really laid the foundation for film culture in Austin,” said Herrick.
• Star of Texas Award: The film From Dusk Till Dawn will be inducted; the award will be accepted by director Robert Rodriguez.
The Austin Film Society’s Texas Film Awards will take place March 6. For more information, visit the AFS website.