Austin News Feed
Austin news feed: Elijah Wood's favorite local fare, UT's latest breakthrough and more
Editor's note: Over the course of a week, we come across dozens of newsy tidbits and interesting links that we want to share with you. For this weekly roundup, we gather all the news we found yummy, helpful and passionate.
1. Brisket, breakfast tacos and Topo Chico. Actor (and relatively new Austin resident) Elijah Wood replied to Eater Austin's call for the city's most iconic dishes, giving a shout out to brisket and breakfast tacos with Topo Chico. We're not sure if they're all supposed to be eaten together or not, but either way — we'll take three orders, please.
2. Check out the locals competing in NPR's Tiny Desk Concert Contest. KUT has put together a YouTube playlist featuring those from Austin who may win a chance to play a Tiny Desk Concert (Go Austin!).
3. A new study from UT and UCSF may explain why some cancer treatments don't work. A joint study from the two universities looks into how cancer-causing viruses can mess with a person's immune system.
4. New York Times' Recipe Lab talks Texas chili. Writer Julia Moskin is correct when she says that there is a special relationship between Texans and their chili. However, Texas Monthly didn't care for the recipe (reportedly from a native Austinite) she shared because it had — get this — chocolate in it.
5. A former New York lawyer brings his pizza passion to Austin. Clint Elmore, owner of the recently opened 40 North Pizza food truck on South First Street, gave up practicing law in the Big Apple for a happier, doughier pursuit of pizza in the Lone Star State.
6. Max Frost doesn't mind if you take videos and pics during his shows. The local pop musician isn't afraid to hit the streets to promote his gigs; neither is he bothered by people using cellphones while he's on stage.
7. Adelbert's Brewery lets employees make their own microbrews. Adelbert's now has two employee-inspired brews: Naughty Brewing and Oddwood Ale.