serving up kindness
It started very small and simple: Back in 1998, Alan Graham and a few buddies made some sandwiches and took them to a few homeless people in downtown Austin. But that small act was only the seed for something much bigger. Graham and his group made friends with a homeless man named Houston Flake.
- Community First!—a unique outreach program effectively confronting homelessness by lifting chronically homeless men and women up off the streets providing supportive, affordable and sustainable housing based in a loving and hospitable environment with amenities to improve quality of life. Each resident must pay rent (very affordable for those on SSI or SSDI) and utilities.
- Genesis Gardens—utilizes sustainable agriculture to support, equip and empower our brothers and sisters in need. Read more about Genesis Gardens in a prior Culture Map story.
- Literacy Impacts the Future Today (LIFT)—an educational outreach ministry focused on combating the impact of homelessness resulting from low reading skills
- CleanSlate—helps to provide the pathway to self-sustainability for the chronically homeless through hope and encouragement to become a productive citizen in the community again through employment
- HealthFirst!—addresses primary healthcare needs of the residents of Community First! while, simultaneously, elucidating and addressing the root causes of their medical problems
- New Life Institute—a non-profit counseling and training organization, dedicated to changing lives by providing professional services to those in emotional or spiritual need regardless of ability to pay
- Ellory’s Hugs for Humanity—provides and distributes warm, lightweight, waterproof, sleep sacs with pillows to protect, provide comfort and show compassion for our community’s homeless population
- Rework Project—a city-wide community response that is about work itself and rethinking work for those experiencing homelessness. Rework Project has workshop and retail spaces, offers job search support and new business and job creation support.