Five Austin-area schools are at the top of their class among public and private high schools in Texas.
New rankings from education website Niche put four Austin schools among the top 10 public high schools in the state. Austin ISD’s Liberal Arts & Science Academy ranks No. 2, followed by Westlake High School (Eanes ISD), No. 4; Westwood High School (Round Rock ISD), No. 8; and Vandegrift High School (Leander ISD), No. 10.
One Austin school appears on the list of Texas’ top private schools: St. Stephen’s Episcopal School, at No. 5.
Niche ranks public high schools based on factors such as state test scores, college readiness, graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher quality, and Niche user ratings.
Niche ranks private high schools based on factors like SAT/ACT scores, quality of colleges that students consider, student-teacher ratio, and Niche user ratings.
“Our 2022 rankings come at a time when so many parents are curious about the different options for their children’s education, including some they may never have considered before,” Luke Skurman, founder and CEO of Niche, says in a news release.
Joining the Central Texas schools in the public high school category for Texas are:
- First-ranked School for the Talented and Gifted (Dallas ISD).
- Third-ranked School of Science and Engineering (Dallas ISD).
- Fifth-ranked Carnegie Vanguard High School (Houston ISD).
- Sixth-ranked DeBakey High School for Health Professions (Houston ISD).
- Seventh-ranked Carroll Senior High School (Carroll ISD).
- Ninth-ranked Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts (Houston ISD).
And representing the private high school category for Texas are:
- First-ranked St. Mark’s School in Dallas.
- Second-ranked St. John’s School in Houston.
- Third-ranked Greenhill School in Addison.
- Fourth-ranked The Hockaday School in Dallas.
- Sixth-ranked The John Cooper School in The Woodlands.
- Seventh-ranked The Awty International School in Houston.
- Eighth-ranked Keystone School in San Antonio.
- Ninth-ranked Cistercian Preparatory School in Irving.
- 10th-ranked The Kincaid School in Houston.
As for the best school districts in Texas, Eanes ISD grabs the No. 1 spot. Dallas-Fort Worth dominates the rest of the top 10:
- Second-ranked South Texas ISD in Mercedes.
- Third-ranked Highland Park ISD in Dallas.
- Fourth-ranked Carroll ISD in Southlake.
- Fifth-ranked Coppell ISD in Coppell.
- Sixth-ranked Lovejoy ISD in Allen.
- Seventh-ranked Frisco ISD in Frisco.
- Eighth-ranked Argyle ISD in Argyle.
- Ninth-ranked Grapevine-Colleyville ISD in Grapevine.
- 10th-ranked Allen ISD in Allen.