Wet Blanket News
Airbnb promises it will deter rogue New Year's Eve parties in Austin
With lots of fanfare, Airbnb is announcing that it's here to stop unauthorized rowdy parties on New Year’s Eve.
According to a release, the short-term home rental company is enacting restrictions on certain kinds of bookings over New Year’s Eve, to deter rentals from unsavory characters whose entire mission is to host rogue events.
These restrictions include:
- a ban on one-night bookings of entire home listings for guests without a positive account history
- a ban on one-night bookings of entire home listings for guests with no previous bookings at all
They're also placing tighter restrictions for guests who try to book two- and three-night reservations, with an emphasis on attempts to book locally.
The restrictions will be in effect over the New Year’s Eve weekend not only in Austin, but in 11 countries, including the U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, France, Spain, the UK, Ireland, Portugal, and the Netherlands. They're stamping out New Year's Eve debauchery around the world!
These restrictions are on top of other restrictions instituted previously, such as focusing on people under 25 without positive reviews who are trying to book a space. Young people are trouble, everyone knows that.
The 2022 rollout follows a trial they enacted in eight countries on New Year's Eve 2021, when approximately 340,000 guests globally were blocked or redirected from attempting to book on Airbnb over NYE, including more than 120,000 guests in the U.S., over 34,500 guests in the UK, and almost 13,000 guests in Australia.
Stats from last year:
- In Austin, they deterred more than 1,350 people from booking entire home listings over NYE 2021
- In Dallas, they deterred more than 2,450 people from booking entire home listings over NYE 2021
- In Houston, they deterred more than 1,950 people from booking entire home listings over NYE 2021
They also have a 24/7 Neighborhood Support Line, accessible at Airbnb.com/neighbors, with a team that can investigate complaints.