Editor's note: It's that time again — time to check in with our top stories of the week. From a luxury hotel opening soon near the University of Texas campus to an update on the maligned "Jenga tower" crown, these are the stories that captured Austin's attention over the past seven days.
1. Massive luxury hotel checks into Central Austin with over-the-top rooftop bar and restaurant. The Otis, one of Austin's most ambitious hospitality projects of late, is opening next month, bringing with it all sorts of perks. Among the property's features are a members-only rooftop bar and lounge, onsite restaurant, and an entire other hotel.
2. Anticipated Japanese restaurant finally opening in downtown Austin. They say the best things in life are worth waiting for, so this Japanese spot must be pretty good. Originally announced in 2018, this new joint promises robata, sushi, and a lot of swank.
3. One Texas city named among the world’s 5 best places to visit in 2020. The New York Times may have declared Austin one of the 52 places to go in 2020, but Harper's Bazaar gave the "must visit" honor to another Texas metropolis.
4. Austin’s tallest building finally lights up its much-maligned ‘crown’. Oof, people are so mean about The Independent's crown. They call it a "mistake" that must be "fixed." Well, worry no more. Preparations are underway to light the maligned crown, thus changing the Austin skyline forever.
5. Austin airport lands 4 new nonstop routes with celebratory $55 fares. Low-cost air carrier Allegiant is flying high and launching 44 new nonstop routes across the country, including four in Austin.