Editor's note: What a week. The past seven days have been equal parts intense, heartbreaking, terrifying, and confusing. As we prepare for the days, weeks, months ahead, all we can do is what can we do. Be conscientious and kind. Check our news sources. Wash our hands. Make someone laugh. Lighten someone's load. Don't panic. Wash our hands again.
And now, our most popular stories of the week.
1. SXSW issues sweeping layoffs after festival canceled by City of Austin. Three days after its flagship 10-day festival was canceled by city officials, SXSW laid off nearly one-third of its workforce.
2. Bombshell reports detail Austin-based Outdoor Voices' recent 'implosion'. Bombshell reports from the New York Times and BuzzFeed News are painting a dire picture of one of Austin's biggest retail brands. Both outlets largely relied on unnamed sources for their stories, leading Outdoor Voices founder Tyler Haney to go to Instagram to call out the practice.
3. Controversial chicken chain hatches plans for first downtown Austin location. Chick-fil-A is moving into downtown Austin. Until recently, the controversial fast-food chain was vocal in its support of anti-LGBTQ+ charities, a practice it stopped last year.
4. Austin joins jam-packed list of worst cities for traffic in U.S. The traffic in Austin ranks the 18th worst in the country, according to INRIX, a company that crunches traffic numbers around the world. The report also found the average Austin commuter spent 70 hours in traffic last year.
5. 6 things to know in Austin food right now: Lobster truck anchors new brick-and-mortar. It looks like perennial seafood favorite Garbo's is setting sail for a new location. Find out more details, plus all the juicy tidbits you need to know right now.