Editor's note: It's that time again — time to to check in with our top stories of the week. From Esquire plaudits to a new basketball arena dribbling into town, here are the five stories that captured Austin's attention over the past seven days.
1. Swanky Austin restaurant nabs Texas' only spot on Esquire's Best New Restaurants 2019. Comedor, downtown's swanky new Mexican joint, nabbed a spot on Esquire's Best New Restaurants' list. The write-up is practically fawning — and rightfully so.
2. 7 things to know in Austin food right now: Dumpling restaurant plops into town and more. In this roundup of bite-sized restaurant news, we learn about a new dumpling shop, get the scoop on a taco joint rolling into downtown, and ask the question: Can too many cooks spoil a burger?
3. Award-winning Austin chef swings in to transform beloved community golf course. Olamaie chef Michael Fojtasek is taking a hack at a whole new restaurant concept. After 70 years, Butler Pitch & Putt has new ownership, and they're setting a new course for the beloved attraction, including a new culinary concept from Fojtasek and team.
4. Fantastical new Austin light show shines spotlight on famous gardens. Austin loves a good light show (who doesn't?) and Umlauf is switching on a fantastical display later this month.
5. UT Austin hooks $130 million grant to replace Frank Erwin Center with snazzy new arena. The University of Texas at Austin just scored one of the biggest private donations in college history — and the city is getting a new landmark. Prepare to say goodbye to the Frank Erwin Center and hello to a brand-new arena.