Lone Star Wealth
The latest Forbes list of America's Richest Families has a Texas flavor. Twenty-one Lone Star families were named among the 185 wealthiest clans in the United States. The Dallas-Fort Worth area topped the statewide list, with nine families. Houston had seven; San Antonio had two; and Uvalde, Tyler and Midland each had one.
The list, which was released July 9, includes multigenerational families of all sizes, ranging from just two brothers to the 3,500 members of the Du Pont clan. Families needed at least a combined net worth of $1 billion to make the cut.
The source of Texas wealth was predictable — oil, energy, chemicals — and sometimes surprising; the owners or founders of Academy Sports & Outdoors, Whataburger, H-E-B and Mary Kay Cosmetics were named to the elite list.
The four heirs of Houston oilman Dan Duncan ranked No. 10 on the overall list and tops in Texas, with an estimated net worth of $25.4 billion. The 34 members of the Hunt family in Dallas ranked No. 13 overall, with an estimated net worth of $15 billion.
Others on the list from Dallas-Fort Worth, with rank, estimated net worth and source of income:
- Marshall family (No. 26, $9.3 billion, diversified)
- Bass family (No. 27, $9.1 billion, investments)
- Perot family (No. 48, $5.6 billion, diversified)
- Simmons family (No. 52, $5.2 billion, inherited)
- Rogers family (No. 115, $2 billion, Mary Kay Cosmetics)
- Westerman family (No. 147, $1.4 billion, oil)
- Colburn family (No. 156, $1.3 billion, electric equipment distributor)
- Dedman family (No. 164, $1.2 billion, country clubs)
The Houston families:
- Chao family (No. 62, $4.3 billion, chemicals)
- Friedkin family (No. 75, $3.3 billion, Toyota distributor)
- Gochman family (No. 100, $2.3 billion, Academy Sports & Outdoors)
- Mitchell family (No. 100, $2.3 billion, oil)
- Walter family (No. 121, $1.9 billion, energy)
- Adams family (No. 156, $1.3 billion, self-made). Bud Adams, who moved the Houston Oilers to Nashville in 1997, remained in Houston until his death last year, although Forbes says the family business in based in the Tennessee city.