Hot Austin dessert trends and ad agency shakeup top 5 most popular stories this week
Editor's note: Another week has come and gone, and there's a lot we all probably missed. But we're looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Austin-based GSD&M and LatinWorks scooped up in global ad agency mega-merger. A blockbuster merger announced July 28 between advertising giants Omnicom Group and Publicis Groupe will affect hundreds of creative professionals in Austin. Included in the merger’s local mix are Austin’s GSD&M and LatinWorks.
2. Whole Foods Market Austin flagship store undergoes major makeover. Eight years after it opened, the flagship Whole Foods Market store at West Sixth Street and North Lamar Boulevard is about to get a serious facelift. Renovation will continue over the next four to five months.
3. Johnny Manziel breaks Twitter silence to blast critics after wild Austin weekend. After being kicked out of one frat party at the University of Texas and welcomed to another, the 20-year-old Texas A&M quarterback returned to Twitter to answer his critics.
4. The next big dessert in Austin? Top pastry chefs talk playful plates, cronuts and local ingredients. Austin is experiencing a revival in its pastry scene, and several themes and desserts are taking hold in restaurants. We asked local pastry chefs and bakers to weigh about the future of Austin desserts and pastries.
5. 10 design finalists for Seaholm Intake Facility revealed. The Seaholm Intake Facility is one step closer to total transformation. Austin’s Parks Department has chosen the final 10 design proposals for the facility, after opening it up to a contest in January.