Kung Fu Saloon controversy and saving iconic Austin mural top 5 most popular stories this week
Editor's note: Another week has come and gone, and there's a lot we all probably missed. But we're looking out for you, kid. Here are the most popular stories from this past week:
1. Kung Fu Saloon snafu ignites racially charged social media fury. On August 11, a doorman at Kung Fu Saloon reportedly denied entrance to an African-American patron because of the shorts he was wearing. It was a violation of the dress code, but his white friend, wearing the same shorts, gained entry. When a photo of the two surfaced on Facebook and Twitter, it set off a social media firestorm. Kung Fu Saloon is looking into the incident.
2. Community kicks off fundraising campaign to save iconic South Austin mural. The famous "Greetings From Austin" mural, located on the side of Roadhouse Relics on South First Street, needs $10,000 worth of repairs. To restore the public art, which was created in 1998, the Bouldin community is rallying together to help raise funds for its restoration.
3. New Austin area food truck park set to open — playground and family fun included. The new Midway Food Park, which opened August 15, sounds like something of an experiment. It's trying to bring real family fun — including its own playground — to food truck parks.
4. Best food neighborhood in Austin? This walkable restaurant row is a fun and quirky contender. A walk down any boulevard in Hyde Park reveals stately mansions juxtaposed with tiny homes boasting funky yard art, twinkle light displays and sculptures. Tucked inside this mélange is an enclave of restaurants and grocery stores where we like to get our foodie fix.
5. Changing late-night eats: A downtown Austin spot gets crazy with gummy bear brats — and more. Anyone who’s spent a late night carousing with friends in downtown Austin usually faces the same conundrum when leaving the bars: What the hell are you going to eat? The new late-night menu at Banger’s Sausage House & Beer Garden gives revelers inspired post-bar food options.