Editor's note: It's the last roundup of top stories for the year, and boy howdy did it get a little wacky. Last week's top story story is this week's top story story's top story and, well, you get the point. Happy 2018!
1. Movie star's stunning Lake Austin home and more popular stories. Never underestimate the power of Dennis Quaid. A peek into the movie star's Lake Austin home proved so good, everyone wanted to read it twice.
2. These incredible Texas destinations beckon Austin travelers. A collection of the best travel writing from CultureMap writers. Whether we're heading hiking, camping, or glamping, these stories ignite the wanderlust in all of us.
3. Austin's newest beer garden and coffee shop blasts off on South Congress. From the man behind the much-missed Momo's comes Cosmic Coffee + Beer Garden, which opens in January. Patrons can expect fare from LeRoy & Lewis, 21 taps focused on Texas drafts, regular live music, and coffee, of course.
4. These restaurant closures redefined Austin's dining scene in 2017. Food editor Brandon Watson didn't just highlight some of the city's surprising restaurant closings, he explained what it means for the future of Austin's culinary scene.
5. One place tops Austin on new list of America's most exciting food cities. Zagat says Los Angeles is tops when it comes to food towns. As for Austin, we're happy at No. 2.