Austin's affordability crisis and more real estate news lead this week's top stories
Editor's note: Affordability concerns and new real estate developments lead this round of top stories. Read on for more of the week's most popular headlines.
1. Big changes coming to East Sixth and South Austin as new hotels move in. Hip, new accommodations were certainly on trend in Austin last year, and the city's hotel boom shows no signs of slowing down. The latest projects on the horizon come from La Corsha Hospitality Group, and they're going up in high-profile locations: South Austin and East Sixth Street.
2. Is Austin in a housing crisis? Affordability concerns continue to grow. Affordability issues continue to plague the Austin housing market. As data in the Austin Board of Realtors' January report reveals, the city's affordability options continue to wane making the call to action more needed than ever before.
3. How to create your dream home in Austin's hot real estate market. With rents hitting historic highs, and in many metros surpassing them, the share of Americans who wish to achieve homeownership is rising year-over-year. Our friends at Trulia share insight on the dream of owning a home — and how to achieve it in Austin.
4. Austin named one of the best cities in North America — and for good reason. The best cities in North America? Of course Austin makes the cut. Travel + Leisure's savvy readers named the Capital City one of the best on the continent as part of the magazine's annual World's Best survey.
5. Exclusive sneak peek at Parlor & Yard: Downtown Austin's newest bar secretly opens. The latest concept from the Bridget Dunlap empire opened quietly on West Sixth Street Wednesday night. Parlor & Yard, a new "Sinatra-esque" sports and game lounge, has taken over the former Arro space, which closed earlier this month.