New flights and Austin restaurant closures soar to the top of our most popular stories
Editor's note: Nonstop flights and restaurant closures lead this week's top stories. Read on for more of our hot headlines.
1. Southwest adds 3 new nonstop flights from Austin — including San Francisco. Southwest has announced new daily nonstop service to San Francisco and Sacramento, California, as well as Sunday-only nonstop service to Indianapolis. Service starts April 8, 2018.
2. New low-cost nonstop flight takes off from Austin to Midwest destination. Arriving in Austin: a new affordable, nonstop flight to the Midwest. Allegiant Air has announced new direct service between Austin-Bergstrom International Airport and Columbus, Ohio, beginning in February 2018.
3. Franklin Barbecue temporarily closes after damaging fire. A fire at Franklin Barbecue has forced the famous joint to temporarily close. In a tweet on Saturday, August 26, the restaurant reported that it will be closed for the foreseeable future but that the staff is safe.
4. Famous pizzeria's Austin outpost shuts down — chicken joint flies in. The former Gino’s East pizza place on East Sixth Street has transformed into Happy Chicks, a chicken-tender restaurant and bar.
5. Hurricane Harvey causes event cancellations and delays in Austin. Several local events set for last weekend were postponed or canceled in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.