Tesla's Austin headquarters files for $800 million campus expansion
Tesla appears to be planning to add to its Austin manufacturing facility, based on documents filed with the State of Texas.
Tesla's facility is already massive, clocking in at more than 10 million square feet for both battery and vehicle manufacturing. The "Gigafactory" campus also serves as Tesla's headquarters.
Now, Tesla has filed a series of plans with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) to construct proposed additions at the campus. The six filings, registered between December 20, 2022, and January 10, 2023, total $833,700,000 and 1.7 million square feet of additional space.
Half of the filings propose starting work at the end of this month.
View the filings below:
- $58 million for 174,979 square feet of new construction (filed December 20, 2022)
- $3.7 million for 2,560 square feet of new construction (filed January 9)
- $85 million for 423,032 square feet of new construction (filed January 9)
- $260 million for 321,186 square feet of new construction (filed January 9)
- $368 million for 693,093 square feet of new construction (filed January 9)
- $59 million for 107,468 square feet of new construction (filed January 10)
The permits don't say what the various buildings would be used for.
As with all projects, information in the TDLR can change throughout the development process.
Read the full story and watch the video at KVUE.com.