The Band Perry's triumphant Rodeo Austin return and Glen Campbell's farewell:2012 rodeo performers announced
Book-ended by The Eli Young Band and Texas redneck troubadour Kevin Fowler, Rodeo Austin announced a strong set of headliners performing for its 75th anniversary season.
Glen Campbell anchors the group, adding Austin to his farewell tour as the country music icon battles Alzheimer's disease.
Perhaps the most impressive "get" for Rodeo Austin is the return of The Band Perry. Fresh off a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist, a platinum selling debut album and a nation-wide TV appearance on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve, the band is selling out massive concert halls all over the country.
Rodeo Austin (previously the Travis County Livestock Show and Rodeo) for years played second musical fiddle to their much larger country cousin in Houston, but has come into its own this decade with a string of outstanding breakout artists.
Beginning in 2001 when a young Houston group called Destiny's Child featuring Beyoncé sold out the Travis County Expo Center, the rodeo finds a way to bring in the hottest new artists. Maroon 5, Nelly and last year Lady Antebellum (booked before their breakout hit was released) have all set records in the intimate — some may say small — confines of the 10,000 seat arena, out-selling country stalwarts like George Jones, Merle Haggard and even Willie. The rodeo expects The Band Perry to follow in that tradition.
Here's the full artist schedule for Rodeo Austin which opens March 10th, tickets are available on the Rodeo Austin website:
- Saturday, March 10 - Super Shootout & Eli Young Band
- Sunday, March 11 - Xtreme Bulls & Chris Young
- Monday, March 12 - All-Star Series & Clay Walker
- Tuesday, March 13 - All-Star Series & Demi Lovato
- Wednesday, March 14 - All-Star Series & Jake Owen
- Thursday, March 15 - All-Star Series & The Band Perry
- Friday, March 16 - All-Star Series & Sara Evans
- Saturday, March 17 - All-Star Series & Josh Abbott
- Sunday, March 18 - All-Star Series & Glen Campbell
- Monday, March 19 - All-Star Series & Bellamy Brothers
- Tuesday, March 20 - All-Star Series & Gavin DeGraw
- Wednesday, March 21 - All-Star Series & Josh Turner
- Thursday, March 22 - All-Star Series & Stoney LaRue
- Friday, March 23 - All-Star Series & Bret Michaels
- Saturday, March 24 - All-Star Series Finals & Kevin Fowler
Editor's note: In an earlier edition, we incorrectly reported this as The Band Perry's Rodeo Austin debut. It is not, they played the rodeo last year (2011) as well, making this a rare return engagement. We regret the error.