Editor's note: It's that time again — time to check in with our top stories of the week. From Redfin's picks of the city's hottest neighborhoods to new details about Austin's anticipated public market, these are the stories that captured our attention over the past seven days.
1. Austin's 3 hottest neighborhoods revealed by real estate authority. Real estate brokerage Redfin released its annual ranking of the hottest neighborhoods to watch in 2020 and included picks for the country's largest metros. Austin's top three are located all over the city, but all have one thing in common — they're very, very popular with homebuyers.
2. World-famous Austin gelato shop gets scooped out of Rosedale due to rising rent. Austin's rising rent prices have claimed another popular eatery. But it's not all bad news. Teo fans can still scoop up the award-winning gelato in area grocery stores.
3. Home goods retailer throws in the towel on South Austin store. According to a corporate release, Bed Bath & Beyond suffered a rough third quarter last year, leading the company to close stores across the U.S., including one in South Austin. Don't throw those 20 percent off coupons away just yet: the Mueller-area location is still open.
4. Austin's beloved Zilker Park tiny train 'permanently closes' after 20 years. Austinites were steaming mad when news broke that the Zilker Park tiny train was closing. That's not the whole story though. As the week continued, details about the city's plan to hire a new operator were revealed.
5. Austin's anticipated public marketplace announces 2 more restaurants and new opening date. They say good things come to those who wait, so we predict St. Elmo will be fabulous. Though the project is, ahem, slightly behind schedule, it hasn't stopped an all-star group of local restaurateurs from joining.