Outdoor Voices founder shockingly resigns, plus week's most popular stories
Editor's note: It's that time again — time to check in with our top stories of the week. From the surprising departure of a local business leader to yet another downtown high-rise, these are the stories that captured our attention over the past seven days.
1. Founder of Austin-based Outdoor Voices shockingly resigns amid company turmoil. Former Outdoor Voices CEO and founder Tyler Haney tendered her resignation via a Slack message to the company this week. In response, Outdoor Voices wished her well in a written statement but gave no indication as to why the entrepreneur left the company she created. So far, Haney has stayed largely mum on the shocking split, save for a few pointed Instagram stories.
2. 2 popular Austin bars to be bulldozed for new downtown high-rise tower. On a day where we published two stories about new high-rise towers coming to the same tiny downtown block, this one really resonated with readers. While the other tower will be built in an IHOP parking lot, this one will mean the demolition of two popular bars.
3. Alamo Drafthouse's popular adult sleepaway camp returns to Austin with explosive twist. For the past four years, Alamo Drafthouse has taken over a real-life children's summer camp and transformed it into an adults-only slumber party. This year, the Austin-based brand is once again hosting its famed camp — but with actual explosions.
4. 7 Austin chefs, bakers, and breweries score prestigious James Beard semifinalist nods. The Oscars of food have returned, and Austin's culinary community received seven nominations. Check out who scored the coveted semifinalist nod.
5. SXSW's free outdoor concert series returns to Auditorium Shores with hot acts. SXSW will spread the festival love with three big free concerts at Auditorium Shores March 19-21. Among the highlights: A massive tribute to Tejano star Selena.