Editor's note: It's June y'all, and for the first time in months, there isn't a festival in sight. Whether you're hitting up a swimming hole, taking the kids for an ice cream, or just hanging out at home, stay cool — and check out our hottest stories of the week.
1. 6 quaint Texas towns for an easy weekend escape from the Austin hustle. Sometimes you just need a break from the bustle of city life. These six small towns offer everything: good food, beautiful scenery, and healthy dose of good ol' Texas hospitality.
2. After mysterious departure, noted chef fires up new Austin barbecue truck. Josh Watkins was a star of Austin's culinary scene during his tenure at The Carillon, which ended in 2014. For four years, fans wondered what happened to the celebrated chef. This week, Watkins revealed that he has opened a new barbecue trailer alongside Longhorn legend and NFL star Kasey Studdard.
3. Dallas burger joint cuts into Austin plus more red-hot restaurant news. This week's restaurant news was filled with all kinds of juicy tidbits, including details on the new Austin outpost of Knife Burger, the celebrated eatery from Dallas chef John Tesar.
4. Iconic Austin diner reboots with acclaimed chef and swanky new look. Every longtime Austinite has a memory (or a couple thousand) from Kerbey Lane. After more than 25 years, the beloved local chain is shaking things up with a new executive chef — and a new look.
5. This trio created Austin's hottest new restaurant — with a little help from their friends. Better Half is arguably Austin's hottest new restaurant. But without a flashy restaurant group behind them, how did the team behind the Brew & Brew transform a former Enterprise Rent-A-Car into a chic all-day eatery? With a little help from their very creative community.