Editor's note: Welcome to Austin, where 85 degrees feels chilly, everything is sweaty, and walking outside drains every bit of joy from the human body. Luckily, we've got our top five stories of the week to distract us. Let's take a look.
1. Where to eat in Austin right now: The best restaurants of 2019 so far. Somehow, 2019 is halfway over, so it's time for a little midterm report. These six newbies range from a sleek interior Mexican restaurant to a pop-up deli, but they all have one thing in common: they're among the best eateries in Austin right now.
2. Lakefront estate with ties to infamous Texas mobster hits market for $3.7 million. An ornate lakefront property once home by an infamous criminal from the 1940s can be yours ... for $3.7 million. The property was once owned by Herbert “The Cat” Noble, a dashing Dallas mobster who made his money (and lots of enemies) in gambling rings and other criminal pursuits.
3. UT Austin to provide free tuition to families making less than $65,000. The University of Texas at Austin made history (and international headlines) this week after the Board of Regents voted to give free in-state tuition to more than 8,000 students. Beginning in fall 2020, students whose families make less than $65,000 are eligible to go to the prestigious university for free.
4. Downtown Austin juice bar squeezed out of business for new bar and restaurant. Austin loves wellness, but it seems we love bars more. The team behind secret speakeasy Here Nor There announced plans to ditch its downtown juice bar in favor of another bar concept with yet another punchy name — In Plain Sight.
5. Killer taco restaurant invades Central Austin's newest boutique hotel. Zombies are certainly having a pop culture moment, so much so that they're in the inspiration for a new taco spot coming to the Drag. Zombie Tacos will open in The Moxy Hotel, currently being built on the corner of West 26th and Guadalupe streets, though an opening date was not given.