Editor's note: Hopefully, dear reader, you're kickstarting an epic three-day weekend filled with end-of-summer fun. And if you're not off this weekend, we hope you still make time to do something special. But before any of that begins, let's check in with our most-read stories of week.
1. Popular East Austin happy hour spot calls it quits after 6 years in business.It's quittin' time for one of East Austin's best happy hour spots. The Hightower on East Seventh Street has been a go-to spot for bar bites and craft cocktails since it first opened in January 2015. It's not all bad news, though. Read on to learn what's in store for the property.
2. Austin's ambitious transformation of Waller Creek into 'Central Park' reveals new name. Waller Creek, arguably one of Austin's most ambitious public works projects — well, ever — unveiled new details this week. Eventually becoming "Austin's Central Park," the multimillion-dollar project will eventually connect Waller Creek, Waterloo Park, the Butler Hike and Bike Trail. And as of this week, it has an official name.
3. 6 Austin fried chicken sandwiches better than anything at Popeyes or Chick-fil-A. Forget that fast food junk — Austin chefs know how to fry up a chicken sandwich better than Popeyes. Biscuits on the other hand... (just kidding, Olamaie.)
4. 7 hidden gems sparkling on North Austin's original restaurant row. Before Manor Road, before Airport Boulevard, hell, before South Congress there was West Anderson Lane. From Tex-Mex to Korean fried chicken, these little gems are worth a trip to the North Austin strip.
5. Historic Austin home makes a splash with luxurious modern pool house. Is there anything better than a good design before and after? (There is not.) This beautiful pool house from Austin-based architect Chris Sanders is an elegant addition to a historic home that feels equal parts modern and classic.