South Austin wedding venue unveils closing plans, plus more popular stories
Editor's note: The holiday has come and gone and we hope you're spending it with those you love. Before you hit the fridge for another turkey sandwich, take a bite out of our top stories. From the sad end of a popular wedding venue to the best local holiday events, here are the stories that captured Austin's attention over the past seven days.
1. Longtime South Austin wedding venue unveils closing plans due to soaring property taxes.Mercury Hall has hosted 300 events a year, every year, since its founding in 2005, which means you've probably attended at least one celebration at this picturesque South Austin site. Last week, the owners announced they are selling the business due to unmanageable property taxes. Adieu to the I do's.
2. 13 magical events that will dazzle Austin this holiday season. We've made our list, checked it twice, and firmly believe that everyone — naughty or nice — will enjoy these 13 fantastical holiday events around Austin.
3. Austin breaks yet another real estate record as home prices climb to $405,000.Every 30 days, the Austin Board of Realtors releases its monthly report and every 30 days it seems Austin breaks yet another record. The most recent? Austin single-family home sales climbed to their highest levels ever in October.
4. Austin's unstoppable tech sector explodes with 10,000 new jobs in just 2 years.And when Austin isn't breaking real estate records, we're breaking tech records. Among the hightlights of CBRE's newest report is that Austin added a shocking 10,000 tech jobs in just the past two years.
5. Portland beer vets brew up new family-friendly brewery in Southeast Austin. Meanwhile in South Austin, a family-friendly brewery is expected to bubble up in April 2020. The brainchild of Portland, Oregon beer veterans, the new space is called, wait for it, Meanwhile Brewing.