Stay Cool, Hot Mamas
Estilo's Stephanie Coultress shares her favorite pregnancy fashion staples
Consider Estilo one of Downtown’s best bets for unique designer items for both men and women; featuring a roster of names including Nicole Miller, Mk2k, Yumi Kim, English Laundry, John Varvatos and more, the shop knows serious style.
Owner Stephanie Coultress is used to dealing with the Austin heat and adjusting her wardrobe accordingly, but this year, she’s had to take on the hot weather while also nearing the ninth month of her pregnancy. 100+ degree days, and a rapidly approaching due date? It’s much more than just a fashion emergency.
Coultress has plenty of advice and tips for staying cool in the ridiculous heat while also trying to stay sylin’—baby bump and all.
What are some of your traditional, Austin-y summer style staples?
Love jersey dresses. They are comfortable and breathe easily in this weather. They stretch with the body so they are perfect for pregnancy, too. Pair it with a flat sandal or slight wedge and you look fashionable and functional!
- Portia Maxi Dress – Feather print! Sparkly details! Elasticized empire waist!
- Envisioning Excitement Dress – Gorgeous detailing on the bib with a comfortable waist.
- Halter in the Name of Love Dress – Some serious stretch paired with fun stripes in summery peach.
How has your pregnancy changed the way you think about getting dressed in the morning?
It definitely takes more thought and more attempts to find a new outfit everyday. Your body is changing in so many different ways that you have to take it day by day. What fit me Monday may not fit me Thursday.
Have you found any unique pieces that make pulling together pregnancy outfits easier?
Belts are so great during pregnancy. It is key to belt right under the bust line. It gives you a more flattering shape—so any flowy, blousy dress, just cinch it in with a belt!
- Elastic Pyramid Belt from Forever21 – A studded center punches up a basic jersey dress.
- Ruffled Elastic Belt from Forever21 – Cute, cheap and stretchy—perfect!
- Skinny Leather Belt from Old Navy – Available in XL and a few different colors.
Are there any rules of thumb for staying cool that you've developed over the past few months?
Dresses are key. They allow you to be more free and there’s no restriction to the belly. I love my maternity jeans, too, but cute summer dresses are so much more comfortable and functional during pregnancy.
- Embellished Neck Swing Dress – A cutout shoulder and jeweled detailing makes this fun enough for nighttime, too.
- Galloping Horse Print Dress – An adorable print paired with a pussybow blouse equals grown-up fun.
- Button Back 60s Swing Dress – Pair with leggings (or dare not to).
Do you have any advice to moms-to-be who don't want to sacrifice style, but necessarily need comfort, too?
Don't be afraid to show off your figure. More form-fitting clothes actually show off the precious belly and make you feel less frumpy. There are so many great, comfortable jersey dresses that feel and look great on.
And with today's fashions, you don't have to buy many maternity clothes. Tunics are great over jeans or leggings. The only maternity pieces I purchased were maternity jeans, because jeans are the first thing that stop fitting. Having those allowed me to wear so many fun, flowy or fitted non-maternity blouses and still look and feel cute.
- A Pea in the Pod – Designer maternity jeans as stylin’ as the original lines.
- Shopbop – A range of styles, including black slacks and capris.
- Gap – A slightly stretchier version of your favorite cuts.
Stop by Estilo (234 West 2nd Street) to browse some of Stephanie's favorite pieces.