A new analysis reveals where Austinites want to live — and just how much they're willing to pay to get in the door. When it comes to the most popular neighborhoods, Austin's tony downtown-adjacent districts take the top spots.
On September 14, rental search site Apartment Guide released its report of the five most popular Austin neighborhoods for renters, an analysis of Google data, generic keyword searches, and the most searched Austin neighborhoods on its website.
Downtown comes in at No. 1, followed by Riverside (2), Mueller (3), Clarksville (4), and South Lamar (5). Unsurprisingly, all five neighborhoods are hubs of entertainment with restaurants, theaters, grocery stores, and shops all within walking distance.
But with popularity comes a price, and comparing the average rent for one- and two-bedroom apartments in those neighborhoods illustrates just how in-demand these 'hoods have become.
In Austin, the average rent is $1353 for a one-bedroom and $1,740 for a two-bedroom, according to Apartment Guide. In some areas, renters can expect to pay more than double the city's average rent to get in the door.
Average rents for Austin's five most popular neighborhoods are:
- Downtown: $2,230 for a one-bedroom; $3,584 for a two-bedroom.
- Riverside: $1,053 for a one-bedroom; $1,335 for a two-bedroom.
- Mueller: $1,750 for a one-bedroom; $2,041 for a two-bedroom.
- Clarksville: $1,856 for a one-bedroom; $2,661 for a two-bedroom.
- South Lamar: $1,580 for a one-bedroom; $1,924 for a two-bedroom.